FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ECOA MEMBERSHIP
We're here to gladly assist you, and we welcome your questions!
If you don’t find the answer to your question on this page, please call Michelle Totilo, assistant director of membership development, at 781.647.9333, or e-mail Michelle at email@example.com.
- What distinguishes the ECOA from other member associations?
- Am I eligible for membership?
- Are there ways I can participate in the ECOA if I am ineligible for membership?
- What types of memberships does the ECOA offer?
- Is there a cost to become an ECOA member?
- What type of ECOA membership is right for me?
- What are the extra membership benefits of Sponsoring Partner (SP) membership?
- How soon after my membership is processed can I take advantage of my ECOA membership benefits?
- Can I share my membership with others?
- What happens to my membership if I leave my organization?
- Is ECOA membership transferable or refundable?
- What happens after I submit my application for membership? How long will it take to receive a response?
- How will I know when to renew my membership?
- What educational resources and professional tools does the ECOA offer its members?
What networking opportunities does the ECOA offer?
- What distinguishes the ECOA from other member associations?
- The ECOA is the most-established membership association in the ethics and compliance field;
- Membership in the ECOA is reserved exclusively for members of ethics and compliance offices, thereby allowing practitioners to learn, collaborate, and network in an environment of trust, collegiality, and confidence;
- The ECOA believes that, in all organizations, the most-effective programs to prevent and detect misconduct are those that effectively balance and integrate both ethics and compliance;
- The ECOA believes that organizations should be free to determine their own, best paths toward an effective ethics and compliance program; such freedom is strongly preferred over command-and-control mandates, regulations, or other types of external requirements;
- The ECOA is the thought-leader and voice of the international ethics and compliance community, seeking to chart the course of the field’s future based on the experiences and informed views of its global members; and
- The ECOA is the pre-eminent provider of professional educational opportunities, hands-on tools, and innovative resources serving the ethics and compliance community.
The ECOA is the membership association for the ethics and compliance field. We welcome as members those who are recognized by their organization as being a part of the team responsible for devising, implementing, or administering its ethics, compliance, or business conduct program. We require all members to have an internal ethics and/or compliance program already in effect or to be in the process of developing one.
Yes. Since members of the ethics and compliance community, such as professional service providers, students, and academicians are not eligible for membership, the ECOA invites them to participate in its community through other opportunities. Contact us to receive periodic information about professional development opportunities, events, news, speaking opportunities, sponsorship opportunities, and more.
The ECOA offers two types of membership; Basic and Sponsoring Partner (SP) membership. Click here to learn about the benefits and costs associated with each membership type. Government agencies are offered memberships, which are designed to address their specific and unique needs. Click here to view membership benefits and dues for Government membership.
Yes. ECOA members pay annual membership dues. Annual dues are determined by membership type. The ECOA offers two types of membership; Basic Membership and Sponsoring Partner Membership. Click here to compare the benefits and costs associated with each type of membership.
The ECOA offers two types of membership: Basic Membership and Sponsoring Partner Membership. Click here to compare the benefits and costs associated with each type of membership.
Sponsoring Partner membership offers additional benefits above Basic Membership, including: a second complimentary SP membership (allowing two people to join for the price of one); special discounted ECOA membership of only $300 per year for other ethics and/or compliance practitioners in the organization [or for other employees of the organization involved in the ethics and/or compliance functions]; free surveys and publications; free monthly webcasts; eligibility to attend the annual Sponsoring Partner Forum; the ability to join and vote for the ECOA Board of Directors; and significant discounts on ECOA events, conferences and educational opportunities.
Once your application has been processed, you will receive a welcome e-mail and invoice. On receipt of your annual membership dues, your username and log-in will be activated that day, providing you instant access to ECOA Connects, our online member networking and resource center. You will receive an e-mail notifying you that your payment has been received, and your username and password has been activated. ECOA Connects includes a comprehensive resource library, member directory, discussion forums, blogs, JobLinks, Daily Ethics and Compliance News, and much more. You will also have access to special member discount pricing on events, conferences, and educational courses, and will be invited to join one or more of our active industry, interest, regional, and working groups.
Membership benefits are for individuals and cannot be shared or transferred to other people, even within the same organization, without an ECOA-approved transfer of the membership. As with professional organizations, the ECOA is designed to be the association of which all ethics and compliance practitioners are members.
Although individuals are ECOA members, memberships are held and usually paid for by organizations and are not transferable between organizations (with the exception of, for example, mergers and buyouts). If an ECOA member leaves an organization, a new or existing employee of that organization who is involved in the ethics and/or compliance function may take over the remaining time on the membership. The former ECOA member is welcome to apply for membership at his or her new organization.
Memberships are not transferable between organizations, but are transferable from one employee to another within the same organization. Please contact the ECOA directly for assistance with a membership transfer. Membership dues are not refundable in whole or in part (e.g., if leaving an organization after three months of membership, asking the ECOA for a refund representing 3/4 of the annual dues).
On receipt of an application, it will be reviewed for membership eligibility and completeness. After submitting an application, the prospective member will be contacted within two business days by an ECOA membership representative.
ECOA membership is based on an anniversary renewal date. Membership is active one year from which membership dues are paid. Members will receive notice of their renewal date by e-mail two months prior to the expiration of their annual membership.
The ECOA continually strives to provide its members with up-to-date, comprehensive networking, educational, and practical tools that allow them to excel in their professional responsibilities as ethics and compliance officers. These resources and tools include our online member networking and resource center, ECOA Connects, which includes a comprehensive resource library; annual benchmarking reports; on-site and on-line introductory and professional education courses, conferences, and forums; specialized Industry and Interest Groups; Advanced Practitioner in Ethics & Compliance Certification (APEX); monthly educational webcasts (free to Sponsoring Partner members); and much more.
ECOA membership is exclusive to practicing members of ethics and compliance teams, which allows members to connect and communicate with one another in an unparalleled environment of confidentiality and trust. ECOA Connects, our online member networking and resource center, provides the ability to connect with other members at any time, from anywhere in a trusted community of leaders in the ethics and compliance field. Through discussion forums, specialized communities, and directory contacts, members can solicit recommendations, answers, or simply share experiences. The multiple opportunities to network continue with our on-line and on-site courses, events, and forums as well as our specialized Industry and Interest Groups and Regional Chapters and Networks.